Distribution Design Engineer
Volkert seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our team as a Distribution Design Engineer. Under the direction of the Electrical Engineer Program Manager, the candidate will be responsible for coordination and oversight of electrical design projects.
The qualified candidate must have experience in electric distribution design, operation, construction, and maintenance of overhead and underground distribution lines (4 kV through 35 kV). Typical distribution design packages will include customer relocation, capacity projects, reliability/improvement projects and network integration and automation associated with distribution automation.
Expectations are for the engineer to perform distribution design work, develop local client relationships. The candidate should be experienced with utility standards, joint-use facilities design, compatible construction units, and construction package development. The candidate must be able to effectively lead, mentor, and potentially manage a diverse staff of electric distribution designers, and drafters. The ideal candidate will also have experience with the design of advanced electrical systems, familiarity with distribution design software, overhead and underground design, the National Electric Safety Code (NESC), pole loading programs, compilation of design packages for construction, perform quality reviews of project deliverables, prepare schedules and bills of materials. Must manage project from inception to final construction of distribution facilities and all close-out documents. Additional responsibilities will include some or all of the following:
- Capable of assisting project scoping, developing project cost estimates and schedules.
- Familiar with Electrical distribution standards.
- Familiar with electrical survey and electrical construction techniques.
- Assist with coordination of company personnel to produce designs and drawings on schedule.
- Perform various electrical calculations such as KW loading, pole loading, conduit pulling, transformer sizing secondary voltage drops and associated calculations.
- Familiar with Substation designs and distribution feeder exits
- Develop Electrical bill of materials, including material descriptions.
- Assist with cost monitoring and client progress reporting.
- Assist with sub-contract administration and invoicing.
- Familiar with risk management plans, environmental studies
- Prepares Electrical design sketches as required.
- Review Electrical engineering drawings.
- Performs a wide variety of complex engineering assignments in areas of design, development, analysis, evaluation, testing, preparation of construction bid documents, and project management.
- Provide leadership, guidance and instruction to staff members.
- Schedules regular meetings with clients to develop strong relationships and points of contact
- Possesses ability to effectively serve in both leadership and support roles on project teams.
- Demonstrated ability to listen to the client and translate into engineering design that meets or exceeds expectations.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Technical training (survey, operations, pole loading, NESC, Various electrical calculations)
- PLS-CADD experience desirable.
- Transmission and Substation design experience desirable
- Ability to travel up to 25%.
- Ability to demonstrate organizational skills, including attention to detail.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in the Electric distribution design.
- P.E. designation or ability to obtain
- Experience with Microsoft Office Products
- Excellent analytical skills
- Communicates effectively orally and in writing; understand and execute oral and written instructions; exhibit high-level self-management skills; perform efficiently and accurately while working on multiple projects
Volkert’s greatest resource is its people. As an employee-owned company, our goal is for all of our associates to enjoy a sense of security and well-being. Our benefits package is comprehensive and competitive, focusing on health, wellness, savings, and retirement.
APPLY FOR THE POSITION: Salary is commensurate with experience. All resumes received will be held in confidence. Email Resume and additional information to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Distribution Design Engineer — Collinsville, IL.
Volkert, Inc is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.