Baltimore, Maryland | Washington, D.C.
ESSENTIAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
Work is primarily routine and standardized inspection work which may include manual or electronic calculations and computations. Employee will perform independent inspection of construction processes and materials to assure compliance with the construction contract. Guidance to accomplish assignments is provided by higher level Inspectors, Project Engineers or Resident Engineers. Responsibilities may include inspection of truck load tickets for aggregate, asphalt or concrete; perform materials sampling; and/or perform contract administrative duties which may include field measurement of pay item quantities. Decisions involve limited risk to the organization.
The following will be expected at all levels within this Position:
- Technical Responsibilities: Work requires knowledge of materials, methods, and equipment used in highway construction; considerable knowledge of mathematical functions; drafting skills; ability to read, interpret and explain construction plans, contract provisions, and specifications; good communication ability and ability to instruct other employees in proper work methods.
- Documentation Responsibilities: Document pertinent field and office related activities in order to maintain accurate records.
- Participates as a Team Member: Participates in ongoing development, communication and implementation of team concepts, programs and policies. Coordinates work to ensure best practices with all team members. Attends appropriate team meetings. As a member of the Team, fosters strong cohesiveness regarding its major issues; e.g., direction, annual plan, budget, policy changes, etc. Accepts responsibility to quickly identify any areas of lack of cohesiveness, bringing them to the attention of the team leader and working with the team in a supportive manner to resolve issues effecting cohesiveness. Actively look for ways, and reinforce the actions needed, to improve performance within the larger organization.
- VOLKERT Operating systems principles and objectives (this competency appears in all job descriptions): Is familiar with VOLKERT established operating systems (e.g. quality, security, office environment, company policies). Understands the responsibility to maintain familiarity with the systems and this position’s role in support of these systems – including a consideration of the impact of individual actions on the systems and the responsibility to communicate concerns and improvement ideas.
- Performs Other Duties as Necessary in Support of Business Objectives: This position description is intended to guide the activities of the Inspector. It is not intended to limit the thinking and creativity of the employee, nor is it intended that this describe all the work that may be required of the employee in this position.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Certifications: environmental, earthwork, asphalt, work zone traffic safety, concrete from a State Highway Agency or National Entity such as Department Environmental Control, ACI or NICET preferred.
- Minimum 3 years progressive experience in construction and possesses proven ability to perform project assignments on their own.
- Ability to withstand a minimum of 8 hours per day walking, standing, lifting, and climbing outdoors and work in all types of climates. Ability to lift 50 lbs. Shall be licensed to operate motor vehicles.
Technical Competencies – specifically related to this position
- Organizational Skills: Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize assignments.
- Computer Skills: Proficient with basic office equipment and computer software.
- Write Effectively: Conveys information clearly and effectively through formal and informal documents.
Does this opportunity sound right for you? If so, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Inspector-CEI”
Volkert, Inc. is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.