This past year, Trevor Reed, Vice President, Program Director for the Texas region, was selected to serve Leadership Rockwall – a comprehensive community program in Rockwall County, Texas created to serve the community while developing the skills leaders need to excel. The application process for membership is competitive and only 15-20 individuals are selected to serve each year.
At the start of this 9-month program, participants are charged with the task of identifying an issue, program, or project that needs attention. After selection and approval, the class then plans and executes a sustainable community project.
Working alongside the City of Rockwall and the Parks Department, Leadership Rockwall chose to make improvements to the Grove section at Lofland Park, the City’s oldest. The Grove was envisioned to create a unique new space and extend the downtown area to the park, connecting two historic areas. Along with Trevor’s help with project selection, planning, and fundraising, Volkert developed the site plan and other details to assist with the vision.
The project provided the following improvements to the park:
- Creation of a Magnolia grove consisting of 12 trees planted in rows
- Installation of new hedgerow and beds to better define park area
- Installation of irrigation to support new vegetation
- Installation of new ADA compliant sidewalks to connect the trail system to the parking lot and all pavilions
- Refresh paint and structural updates to the pavilion areas
- Installation of the solar illuminated pathway for security and safety from the downtown area
- Installation of new sod around pavilions
- Installation of memorial brick area, park benches, and associated flatwork
- Coordination with Rockwall Art Commission to install butterfly sculpture designed by local high school students
The project was proposed in October 2021, approved by Council in January 2022, and constructed and unveiled on April 29th. The total value of the project was approximately $100k, of which $83k was provided as in-kind donations or volunteer work.
To learn more about the project and the community reveal, watch this video:
Volkert thanks Trevor for his commitment to Leadership Rockwall. Work such as this exemplifies Volkert’s corporate mission to give back to those who are in need in our local communities.